VP Sara visits wake of 14-year-old Antipolo student

Philippine Tribune
Philippine Tribune

Vice President Sara Duterte personally condoled with the family of Francis Jay Gumikib Friday morning, October 6, at the boy’s wake in his residence in Pagrai Hills 6, Antipolo City.

Duterte visited the wake of Gumikib, a Grade 5 student who died more than 11 days after he was reportedly slapped by his teacher at Penafrancia Elementary School in Antipolo City, at around 10 a.m.

The vice president, who is also the Department of Education (DepEd) secretary, stayed for around an hour talking to the family of Gumikib.

She was accompanied by DepEd Undersecretary Michael Wesley Poa.

Lt. Col. Ryan Manongdo, Antipolo Police chief, said Duterte had a private talk with the members of the Gumikib family for less than an hour.

VP Sara at Gumikib's wake 2.JPG

(Photoscourtesy of Rizal Police Provincial Office)

Upon hearing the news about the presence of Duterte at the wake of the 14-year old student, the neighbors of the boy went out and waited for her to emerge from the house of the grieving family.

Requests for selfie photos from the neighbors of Gumikib were granted by Duterte before she boarded her vehicle.

It was learned that the family opted for a house wake for the boy to give them more time to spend the remaining days with him.

Prior to the visit of Duterte, City Mayor Casimiro “Junjun” Ynares III and Vice Mayor Josefina Gatlabayan, DepEd Antipolo and Department of Social Welfare and Development officials also personally condoled with the family of Gumikib.

The city government said it is shouldering the funeral expenses of the family of Gumikib, along with the provision of livelihood assistance for the victim’s parents and educational assistance for the boy’s siblings.

The boy’s death certificate shows that he died of global brain edema, with an antecedent cause of acute intraparenchymal hemorrhage or bleeding into the brain tissue. Other significant conditions which contributed to his death included presumptive pulmonary tuberculosis and child physical abuse.

Gumikib died on October 2, or after a week of being on comatose state in a hospital.  He was admitted in the hospital on September 26 after he complained of severe earache. 

Lt. Col Manongdo said the alleged slapping incident involving the teacher of the victim happened on September 21 and not September 20 as earlier reported by the police.

Leave a comment