By GISELLE OMBAY, GMA Integrated News
There were no Filipinos killed or injured in the shooting incident at a mall in Bangkok, Thailand on Tuesday, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Thursday.
Interviewed on Super Radyo dzBB, DFA Assistant Secretary Paul Cortes said the agency has coordinated with the Philippine Embassy in Thailand, which confirmed that there were no Filipino casualties in the incident.
“Sa awa ng Diyos, walang nadamay doon sa shooting sa Bangkok (Thank God there were no Filipinos hurt in the shooting in Bangkok),” he said.
“Of course, chances are ang daming mga kababayan natin ang naso-shopping at that time. But so far, ang mga nailabas, naitalang casualty ay hindi Pinoy, ibang lahi po,” he added.
(Of course, chances are many Filipinos were shopping at that time. But so far, information on the casualties show that they were not Filipinos.)
A 14-year-old boy was arrested after the shooting at Siam Paragon shopping centre, which left two people dead and five wounded. He was charged with premeditated murder and illegal possession of a firearm.
Police said the suspect had suffered a psychological breakdown in the run-up to the shooting. —KBK, GMA Integrated News