Acorda: We are not seeing areas where BSKE 2023 will be postponed

Philippine Tribune
Philippine Tribune

By JOVILAND RITA, GMA Integrated News



Philippine National Police (PNP) Chief Police General Benjamin Acorda Jr. on Monday expressed optimism that the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan elections (BSKE) will be conducted without postponement in any areas.

“So far, we are not seeing any areas na mapo-postpone (where there will be postponement). All areas will be simultaneously doing or conducting the BSKE as scheduled,” Acorda said in a press conference.

However, Acorda said some areas needed additional deployment of personnel, like the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM).

“There are some areas that we are eyeing na medyo (that) it needs additional troops like BARMM. We have to send additional forces there,” he said.

In line with this, the PNP and other agencies were discussing and making preparations to implement appropriate measures in concerned areas.

Asked about the situation in Socorro, Surigao del Norte amid reports of an alleged cult, Acorda said they were monitoring and planning appropriate deployment in the area.

“No less than our director for operations is in coordination with intelligence units and also with other agencies,” he said.

On September 28, the Commission on Elections (Comelec) said it was closely monitoring the developments in Socorro to ensure that there would be no failure of elections.

“Dapat maayos at makakaboto sila nang walang pressure, walang dikta ng kahit na sino, at the same time, base sa kung ano ang kalooban nila,” Comelec Chairperson George Garcia said.

(They should be able to vote without pressure, no influence from others, but according to their will.)

“‘Iyon ang issue sa Socorro and that’s the reason why the Comelec is monitoring closely the development in Socorro and likewise ‘yung hearing d’yan sa Senado,” he added.

(That’s the issue in Socorro and that’s the reason why Comelec is closely monitoring the developments in Socorro and likewise, the Senate hearing.)

As of September 20, the PNP is considering 246 barangays as election areas of concern under the red category, which will be placed under the control of the Comelec.

A total of 44 incidents of violence suspected to be related to the upcoming BSKE have been monitored so far, the PNP said on September 25.

Six of these incidents have been validated as connected with the polls, while 32 were validated to be unrelated to the elections.

Six incidents are still undergoing the validation process. — DVM, GMA Integrated News

Leave a comment